The LLHM is a new entrepreneurial event which created many ‘firsts’ both for the charity and events sector.
Noticing a gap in the market, Tommy’s took an entrepreneurial approach to challenges which have seen many large commercial organisations fail in their attempts to launch a new event. They created an event which;
- Is the first mass participation event developed by a charity for the benefit of other charities using experience gained through involvement in other events
- Is the first half marathon through the City of London
- Is so much more than just a run. Is an experiential event which celebrates London’s rich history using a unique selling point and strapline; ‘The Grand. The Quirky. The Hidden.’
- Is a fundraising event which places importance on community engagement and participant experience
- Gained permissions to close down central London for a day
The event has raised £4.9m to date against its target of £4m and has been hailed a resounding success by the entire charity sector. The race has received stakeholder approval to take place again in 2019 with runner numbers increasing from 10,000 to 13,000. All 3000 of these additional places have been allocated to charities meaning 157 charities will benefit from LLHM 2019 compared to 102 in 2018. Demand for places is so high that aballot for public places in LLHM 2019 took place which was 9 times oversubscribed meaning charity places are currently flying!